How to connect a portable generator to a house in a safe manner
Frequently Ask Questions about Generators: What size generator to power a house. How much power does a house use. How to connect a portable generator to a house. Connecting Generator to home power. How to use generator to power house.
I try to clarify. A normal house or big villa needs as much as 9kVA of power. This means the following utilities working simultaneously: 1 fridge, 1 air conditioner (or an electric heater), some lights, an oven, some tools for D.I.Y., 2 computers, 1 TV set an so on. EVOLVE 9 is the ideal choice where you wish to be in full control of your electricity services. You can use any style of Engine, included gas-fuelled types. Despite the complexity of the panel, it is one of the most user friendly AMF panels on the market today. Ask the user manual and a qualified electrician can install the panel in a few hours. I do not recommend to practice D.I.Y. with electric panels and generators. Once the panel is in place you can connect a portable generator also.
We do not recommend that you connect the generator directly to your house electric system
It could be dangerous and you can destroy your household appliances. You can connect a portable generator, able to deliver at least 5KW (equivalent of 7KVA) by using the EVOLVE Automatic Transfer Switch Panel. The Evolve will manage the Circuit Breakers in a safe way protecting your appliances in case of troubles of the generator.
IF YOUR PORTABLE GENERATOR IS ABLE TO PROVIDE ONLY 2KW OR LESS, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT. SIMPLY PROGRAM THE EVOLVE OVERLOAD WARNING ALARM. THE EVOLVE PANEL WILL ALERT YOU WHEN YOU ARE TAKING TO MUCH POWER FROM YOUR GENERATOR. WORST CASE, THE EVOLVE PANEL WILL OPEN THE LOAD IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR PORTABLE GENERATOR.
THIS IS THE GENERAL GUIDE
1) Ask to an electrician to connect a cable with a male plug. Set up the EVOLVE according to the generator size.
2) The generator must be provided with a proper female plug according to the safety standards.
3) The body of the generator must be grounded via a proper connection.
4) Set the EVOLVE in Manual Mode of operation.
5) In case of Mains Failure or in case you want to use the generator, connect the generator cable to the portable generator.
6) Start the generator. Use the Manual control of the circuit breakers on the EVOLVE front panel to open the MAINS circuit breaker, and to close the Generator circuit breaker.
7) Once the MAINS restores, close the MAINS circuit breaker. Let the engine running for a few minutes to cool down. Stop the generator and disconnect the plug.