HOW TO CONNECT A PORTABLE GENERATOR TO YOUR HOUSE?
The safest way to connect a portable generator to your house is by using the CONECT ATS panel.
A) The utility power is connected to your house via a circuit breaker . When utility power fails, your house  is without electricity. B) The ATS panel  gives you the possibility to supply your house  by using a PORTABLE generator .
1) The installation must be done by a licensed electrician. Firstly, he will install the ATS panel in your home and connect it to the main breaker box. This keeps you safe and makes sure that your system remains up to code. Most importantly, this will help keep you from accidentally electrocuting someone else or even yourself.
2) If you are looking to install a stationary generator, the CONECT ATS panel offers you all the necessary connections. You can connect any style of generator: diesel, gas and gasoline. We can supply a suitable cable for the most popular brands like Hyundai and Pramac.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT PORTABLE GENERATORS
how to connect a generator to your house without a transfer switch?
This is not possible. We recommend that you read the section
at the end of this page.
Can you plug a portable generator into a wall socket?
No, do not do it! Please, instead, follow the recommendations at the end of this web page
How to install a portable generator suitable for your house?
How to install a portable generator is not how to connect a portable generator. We can say, more correctly, that the connection of a portable generator to your house is part of the process included in the installation of a portable generator. You may "install" a portable generator or a stationary generator based on your budget.
How to correctly use a generator?
We agree that a portable generator is a user-friendly tool. But, after all, it is a complex and potentially dangerous apparatus
THE "CONECT" ATS PANEL IS A COMBINED MANUAL AND AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH SUITABLE FOR A STATIONARY GENERATOR AS WELL
32A 230V 50Hz
DELIVERY TIME 10 DAYS AFTER PAYMENT CONFIRMATION FREE SHIPPING IN THE EU
Especially, when you rent a portable generator for the duration of the power outage, you will be sure to return the generator in perfect condition. To be sure that your family stays safe and, in any situation, your insurance company cannot dispute your claim because of “faulty wiring”, we recommend that you get your system very well inspected. Although the CONECT ATS panel is mainly designed for portable generators, you can automatically start & stop a standby generator (or a stationary/fixed generator If you will).
The CONECT ATS panel features digital enough inputs and relay outputs capable of interfacing with any engine. You can remotely control the ATS panel by activating the REMOTE OFF or REMOTE START inputs. If you connect a stationary generator, the CONECT panel features a fully electronically protected battery charger. This will keep your generator ready to start. Bernini Design supplies cables of suitable length in a way that you can easily interface with the most popular standby generators like HYUNDAI, PRAMAC, SMDO and many others.
HOW TO USE A PORTABLE GENERATOR TO SUPPLY YOUR HOUSE IN CASE OF POWER OUTAGE.
A STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL
1) Put the CONECT panel in the auto mode of operation. In case of a power failure, you are required to connect the cord to the generator. Disconnect the non-critical ITEMS (air conditioner, washing machine, or other items). This will avoid overloading the generator.
2) Take care to position the generator accordingly. Do all checks as recommended by the manufacturer. Connect the power cord before starting the engine.
3) Connect the battery (if it is the case) and open the fuel valve (if it is the case). Start your portable generator. Check for at least 5 minutes of regular noise and smooth running. This will allow the engine to warm up a little. Close the circuit breaker on the generator. Check for exhaust gas!
4) If the voltage and frequency are within acceptable limits, the green LED "G" will illuminate continuously. If the electrical parameters are out of limits, the green LED will blink.
5) The CONECT panel will provide electricity to your house if the electrical parameters are within the settings. The green LED indicator "LOAD" will turn on.
PORTABLE GENERATORS ARE NOT INTENDED FOR HEAVY SERVICE. IN OTHER WORDS, DO NOT USE THE GENERATOR FOR MORE THAN 3 CONTINUOUS HOURS. MAKE A REST OF AT LEAST ONE HOUR. DO NOT USE A PORTABLE GENERATOR AT THE MAXIMUM POWER RATING. A SAFE USE IS NOT TO EXCEED 70% OF ITS NOMINAL POWER.
6) You are not allowed to exceed the power rating of the portable generator. The CONECT panels will shut down your house to protect the generator. In case of generator overload, the ATS panels will detect anomalies in voltage and frequency.
7) If you keep the CONECT panel in ATS mode, it will automatically switch to utility power when the electrical parameters are within normal limits.
8) When you observe the transition generator to utility power, you need to let the engine run for at least 5 minutes. This will allow the engine to cool down.
9) After one hour of utility power stability, you can consider putting the generator at rest. Roll the cable into its place. Clean the cable and make sure is dry and clean.
10) Clean the generator, and remove dirt particles. Check oil and fuel. Close the fuel valve. If you have an electric-start generator, disconnect the battery.
11) Once a month, regularly check your generator. verify battery, and check full functionality according to the user manual. Better to test it at 30% of its nominal power.
DO YOU NEED AN ATS PANEL SUITABLE FOR YOUR 10kVA GENERATOR?
DELIVERY TIME 30 DAYS AFTER PAYMENT CONFIRMATION FREE SHIPPING IN THE EU
IT FEATURES A STEEL CABINET, IDEAL FOR HIGH-PERFORMANCE SOLAR SYSTEM APPLICATIONS WITH MORE THAN 50 ADJUSTABLE SETTINGS
WHAT IS BACK FEEDING?
The direct connection of the generator to a circuit in your home. You feed power back into the utility system. You will energize the transformer serving your house creating conditions for an electrocution hazard.
In a standby application, the generator must never be connected to the grid. Normally, you cannot legally bring an AC generator onto the grid unless some technical and legal conditions are met. To connect a generator to the grid, the sine wave must be in phase with the grid, the frequency must be the same and other requirements have to be strictly satisfied. This is accomplished by using special and complex controllers (regulators and synchronizers). Last but definitely not least the system must pass special inspections. More frequent is the use of the generator for standby application by using a standby generator or small backup generator. A standby generator is a permanently installed apparatus, much like a compressor. A backup generator is a small, sometimes gasoline portable, generator that you put in position outside the house, for example, and then plug into the control panel. Or it can be connected to electrical loads via heavy-duty extension cords.
Back-feeding is a dangerous situation in which, electricity from your generator flows back through your electrical panel into the utility company's electrical system. Back-feeding can occur when a generator is connected to your home wiring system without disconnecting from the utility power. This could occur if you directly connect a generator to a circuit in your home. If you feed power back into the utility system during an outage, you will energize the transformer serving your house.
In other words, you create favourable conditions for an electrocution hazard. Even worse, back-feed could electrocute any technicians who are working on the lines - causing injury or even death. Finally, when the utility company's power is restored, your generator may be severely damaged, or there may be an electrical fire in your home.
To connect a generator to your electrical distribution panel we recommend that you use the CONECT panel; there is no way to make a connection GRID-GENERATOR. The circuit breakers inside the panel feature a mechanical and electrical interlock. The internal circuit breakers will never close simultaneously. The CONECT panel manages, in a fully automatic way, the connection assignment of the LOAD to UTILITY POWER or GENERATOR.